OH my GOSH! So I was cleaning up around this filthy place we call our home (it's really not that bad...just random piles of stuff that needs a home somewhere besides my home) and had a bag of trash to take to the dumpster. I piled a Macy's box full of trash bags and crap then Elle and I headed to the dumpster. My hands were obviously full at this time. I hear her snatch somethin' up from the ground, and start smacking on it. It took me a minute to look, because quite frankly, I didn't much care what she had. Then I realized that made me a bad mommy, all of the doggy books I have say that if they get ahold of something they shouldn't, it's your (the owner's) fault. The guilt filled my brain and so I glance down...
Feet. Scrawny boney little stick legs hanging from her MOUTH! I flip out. I mean, I don't even know what I said at that point (though I looked around after the entire incident was over to make sure no one was watching me lose my mind). What do you do!?!? I said "no no no drop it Elle! Drop it!!!!" Of course she had found a lovely treasure and tried to gobble that sucker down so fast! I grab her mouth, pinch and attempt to pry it open with some success. Now - what do you do next? Reach in and pull the decomposing birdy out of her mouth?? HECK NO! I was not about to touch it! I was shaking her head and giggling her all around like a crazy woman with absolutely no success of removing the birdy. Finally I gave in, grabbed a boney little leg and yanked that sucker right on out of there. The whole way back in I was freaking out. I had touched the dead bird with my hands...there was dead bird ON my hands!! That went through my mind over and over 'til I made it to the sink! Ugh...disgusting.
ha ha ha! at least you're a good enough momma to reach in & pull dead birdie out of the mouth. i totally wouldn't have done it. and what is the deal with dogs wanting to eat small dead animals?!? apparently one of our neighbors recently decided to handle a rat infestation...the result - HUGE dead rats randomly scattered around our yard. the pest control people said they were probably fleeing poison in whatever house they inhabited. anyways, chewy (our lab mix) apparently decided that they were his newest toys while we were at the beach. my brother, who was feeding the dog, said, "he was throwing a dead rat around the yard, but i wasn't about to get anywhere near it..." :)
ReplyDeletethat makes me feel better that it's not just my dog. hahaha! if it was a rat i think i wouldve had a harder time pulling it out of her mouth!
ReplyDeleteewwww! we've had a bad dead fish smell around our driveway all week and thought it must be because of the constant downpours...today steves and I found a decomposing bird. I made him get it out of here. I'm impressed you touched it. YUCK!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete