Time to be honest.
I have been struggling lately (well, really since the move to Savannah). After graduating from Nursing School I had a job. I loved it - I actually enjoyed going to work. We moved to St Louis. I had a job again. I maybe used to cry when I went to work - but only because it was a new place, I still loved what I did. Now we are in Savannah. I came here 36 weeks pregnant - of course I didn't go interview - as soon as orientation would've started I would've had our baby! But for some reason it has been so hard for me to accept that I am "jobless". My sweet mom and mother in law would say 'you're not jobless, you're growing a baby!'. And for a minute, I felt okay with things.
Here we are...with a 3 week old in our house - and for some reason I am still struggling!! Part of me misses the routine, other parts feel like it was some of my identity being a nurse (and I know I still am a nurse...but it's different). Since I am home all day I feel like I should accomplish a million tasks - and when the day ends and I have only completed a handful of them, I feel a little ashamed. Of course Pat is nothing but kind, never making me feel like I have been unproductive - it's ME that creates that feeling.
Today I saw this poem. I actually teared up (even though I should be ridiculously hormonal, I haven't cried in days now...until now, lol)
So here is my wake up call.
Song for a Fifth Child
Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
But where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard, there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her [his :)] eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
But where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard, there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her [his :)] eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
So there it is.
Maybe by saying it all out loud I can finally let it go.
Right now I am cuddling the cutest baby in the world - and enjoying every minute!
i love that poem. it's beautiful and i so totally relate.
ReplyDeletei have that same struggle... you aren't alone!! especially now that the boys are a little older, i tend to beat myself up even more for not getting a million- or really even just a small few- things done every day.
But that poem is right. These moments are fleeting. Rock, change diapers, whisper i love you's, and even just stare at that beautiful baby. all day. then take care of yourself: take a shower, take a nap, eat. read a book. things change fast!!! you'll have lots of time-evenutally- to take care of all that stuff. now i just need to remind myself ;)
i love you!!
thanks misty :) i was sure i wasn't alone with all of these changes/adjusting/feelings - but it sure is nice to hear from a friend! miss you and love you!!
ReplyDeleteBringing home a new baby, not just changes your family dynamic, but really changes the way your world was. It is/was a huge adjustment for us all..going from working, to being home all day can be tough and can take a while to muddle through all the feelings. I love this poem, as it truly describes the wonder of that little baby! Try to enjoy every moment..rocking, singing, playing, just staring at your little one. Before you know it they won't want to be rocked any more and it all changes so fast! Just know that we all struggle with the feelings of being at home, not working, etc. Thinking of you and hang in there, you'll get through those feelings and joy will show up in the tiniest ways (like a smile from that babe soon:) -Meg
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Meg...I am learning so much from all of you wonderful friends/mommies out there...and appreciate any and all advice!!!
ReplyDelete