4.16.2011

peter cottontail

Here he is! Peter Cottontail! It's a tee-tiny one. I had Monster out the other day, she was sniffing around and didn't even see the baby bunny. There were 3 of them! We have been extra careful, keeping Eloise on the leash, since I found Peter x 3 in the courtyard.


Then....last night....
Patrick took Monster out when we got home from dinner. There is a shallow hole she has been sniffing for several days now, I usually just try to drag her away because we're out there with a purpose and I get sick of waiting around for her to 'do her thang' if you know what I mean.
She got one good sniff in last night and came out with what Pat originally thought was a squeaker toy because it was making weird noises. Then he quickly realized it was a SUPER tee-tiny Peter Cottontail! Of course he got her to drop it...it squiggled and crawled back into the grass. He said Peter's momma was near by trying to help the baby bunny so they went inside. Pat went back out to check on Peter, and momma bunny had covered him with a leaf, so he picked him up with a towel and set him outside his little home. This morning he checked on Peter again and there are FIVE babies in the little hole!!! Now I will be making a barrier around the shallow hole so no one cuts the grass right there - I just love these little bunnies!





1 comment: