10.27.2009

POWER TOOLS

I made a headboard!...with the help of my sweet Mama and husband. My poor Mom was here for a visit and got suckered in to repainting my bedroom (do you like the color?) and then I felt even more inspired and we made an upholstered headboard. This is not the finished product. 
#1 - it still need upholstery nails around the edges
#2- it needs artwork created by my oh-so-talented big sister hanging above it (I want to feel like I am back home...so I have hopefully convinced my sister to paint me 3 square pictures of cotton - the ones about three postings down on her website- to hang above the bed. Then there will be more color and it will be nice and home-like for me!)
This was my inspiration. But it was $1600. So I made my own for $210!
Here is the lovely process:
First, I turned my condo into a wood working shop. Ha.
We had 2 pieces of plywood stuff. It had to be cut into 2 30" pieces because they wouldn't fit into my car. You should've seen my mom and I at Home Depot. They laughed at us....a lot. This is one of the 4 pieces. I drew the shape across the top, we cut the 1st then measured onto the other 3 to make sure they looked similar.
Here is the 1st one propped against the wall.
And me with a power tool!!!!!!!! It was super fun.
Pat then nailed three 1x4's between the two cut out pieces of plywood. This created the frame and gave it depth. It is about 2" deep. The 1x4's also gave it support in the middle where they were originally cut and gave it legs.
Here is my Mama. She put up with my crazy idea and put up with me winging it through the whole process. We are out on the tiny porch in the rain, with plywood propped up on laundry baskets to cut the darn stuff. She was such a good sport :)
Here it is from the side after my handyman had nailed it together.

Two inch foam was cut into the shape and we used a glue gun to stick it on the front. There is about an inch or so around the edges where it isn't covering so I can nail the upholstery nails to the edge to finish it off (once they get here...those things are ex-peeen-sive! I found then wholesale online though...phew)
We wrapped batting (spelling?) around the foam and used the staple gun to secure it. Pat reinforced the back with another piece of wood because it was a little floppy due to the cuts down the middle...
After all of that, we stretched the fabric around, stapled it to the back and ta-da! We have a new headboard.

1 comment:

  1. What a masterpiece !!!!! I had fun and I miss ya'll
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete